Sigma Delta Pi Undergraduate Study Abroad Awards
For the summer of 2017 and the 2017-18 academic year.
The 18 awards will be as follows:
1) One (1) scholarship for study in Cuenca, Ecuador at the Estudio Internacional Sampere (EIS). The Juan Manuel Sampere Scholarship consists of free registration, tuition covering 20 lessons of the “curso intensivo” and four culture lessons, course materials and EIS activities for four weeks of study during the month of July 2017. EIS will provide this scholarship. The EIS winner must pay all personal expenses and the costs of room, meals, excursions and medical insurance while in Cuenca. Sigma Delta Pi will provide to the scholarship winner a stipend of $1000 that may be used toward travel to Ecuador. This scholarship is more appropriate for applicants who are non-native speakers of Spanish.
2) Two (2) scholarships for study in San José, Costa Rica at the Universidad Veritas. Courtesy of the Universidad Veritas, these awards include tuition for one Spanish language course (options include Spanish for business and culture classes) in the morning, free access to the university’s labs, Wi-Fi, library, student shuttle service and extracurricular activities for four weeks of study during the summer of 2017. The Universidad Veritas winners must pay all personal expenses and the costs of registration ($195), homestay fees with half pension (breakfast and dinner), laundry, course materials (books), airport pickup and drop-off, additional medical insurance if desired, and excursions while with the program. Sigma Delta Pi will provide to each scholarship winner a stipend of $1000 that may be used toward travel to Costa Rica. These scholarships are appropriate for all levels of Spanish.
3) Five (5) scholarships for study in Alcalá de Henares, Spain at the Instituto Franklin-Universidad de Alcalá de Henares (UAH). Courtesy of the Instituto Franklin-Universidad de Alcalá de Henares, these awards include free registration, tuition, UAH credits, and access to all university services and Spanish tutorials for four weeks of study in July 2017. UAH winners must pay the cost of room (lodging with families is required), meals, medical insurance (optional), airport transportation and cultural activities (required) while in Spain. Sigma Delta Pi will provide to each of the scholarship winners a stipend of $1500 that may be used toward travel to Spain. These scholarships are appropriate for applicants of all levels of Spanish. Click here for available courses.
4) Ten (10) stipends of $2500 each for study abroad with a program in a Spanish-speaking country for the summer of 2017 or during the 2017-18 academic year (4-week minimum). The applicant chooses the study abroad program, which must be approved by the college or university (for course transfer credit) of the applicant’s chapter of Sigma Delta Pi. The stipend may NOT be combined with one of the aforementioned scholarships to Spain and Ecuador; i.e., an applicant may only apply for either a scholarship or a stipend, but not both. Internships will not be funded.
SIGMA DELTA PI is grateful to the Estudio Sampere, the Instituto Franklin-Universidad de Alcalá de Henares, Universidad Veritas and Geico for their generosity in providing support for the scholarships and stipends. We also recognize the generous past support of Mr. Javier Espinosa of the Universidad Internacional / The Center for Bilingual Multicultural Studies in Cuernavaca, Mexico and Dr. Diego del Corral of the Academia latinoamericana.
The T. Earle Hamilton Scholarship
This award is named in memory of Honorary President and President Emeritus, T. Earle Hamilton, who died October 2, 1996. Hamilton served as President of Sigma Delta Pi for a total of fifteen years (1960-68 and 1972-77). The highest ranked applicant who accepts one of the scholarships for study in Ecuador or Spain will receive this award. The scholarship will consist of a supplement to the basic award.
The Richard E. Chandler Scholarship
This award is named in memory of President Emeritus and Honorary President, Richard "Dick" E. Chandler, who died December 11, 2008. He served as President of Sigma Delta Pi for a total of fifteen years (1977-92) during which time 141 new chapters were installed. The highest ranked applicant who accepts one of the $2500 stipends will receive this award. The scholarship will consist of a supplement to the stipend.
RULES GOVERNING THE STUDY ABROAD AWARDS COMPETITION
To be eligible to receive one of the awards listed above, an undergraduate student must meet the following minimal requirements:
(1) must be a Spanish major or minor;
(2) must be of at least junior standing;
(3) must be an active (elected) member of Sigma Delta Pi;
(4) must have a superior academic record;
(5) must be enrolled on February 1, 2017 as a full-time undergradaute student;
(6) must have earned grades in at least 12 semester or 18 quarter hours of Spanish courses;
(7) must be nominated in writing by the chapter adviser;
(8) must submit five copies of a fully completed official application form (see below) together with all required documentation. (Consult with local Faculty Adviser for guidance.)
Applicants whose transcripts do NOT meet the national requirements for membership will automatically be disqualified. Internships will not be funded.
PREVIOUS WINNERS, WHETHER THEY ACCEPTED OR DECLINED A SCHOLARSHIP OR STIPEND, MAY NOT APPLY
CHOICE OF Costa Rica, Ecuador or Spain
Undergraduate Study Abroad Scholarship applicants must indicate their preferences to study either in Costa Rica, Ecuador or Spain in summer 2017.
OFFICIAL APPLICATION FORM
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
All applications must be postmarked no later than February 1, 2017. Those postmarked after this date will not be considered.
Two sub-committees (one for the Costa Rica, Ecuador and Spain scholarships; one for the stipends) of three judges each will be appointed by Professor Shelby Thacker, Committee Chair of the Sigma Delta Pi Undergraduate Summer Scholarship Competition for the 2016/167 academic year. Working independently and with a given set of criteria, the judges will select the winners. Their decision will be final.
ANNOUNCEMENT OF AWARDS
Winners will be notified around April 1, 2017.
USE OF SCHOLARSHIPS AND STIPENDS
Sigma Delta Pi scholarships MUST be used solely for the purposes stated above, i.e. for study in Costa Rica (summer 2017), Ecuador (July 2017) or Spain (July 2017). The $2500 stipends must be used solely for the program and terms described in the accepted application, and only during the summer of 2017 or the 2017-18 academic year. These awards may not be used for research purposes or for internships. The scholarships to Costa Rica, Ecuador and Spain may not be used to participate in established college or university-sponsored/directed study abroad programs; however, the $2500 stipends may be used for such programs. Permission will not be made to alter any of these stipulations. Possible transfer credit must be coordinated with the student’s college or university, not with Sigma Delta Pi. Ineligible are applications that propose to use the $2500 stipend for study in a country that meets the criteria for a U.S. Department of State "Travel Warning". If the program proposed for a $2500 stipend is cancelled for any reason, the award will automatically be cancelled as well and may NOT be applied to any other program.
RESPONSIBILITIES OF WINNERS
Each student who accepts a Sigma Delta Pi Undergraduate Study Abroad Award MUST commit to consistent class attendance and participation during the period studying abroad as afforded by this awards program.
Within two weeks of his/her return from studying abroad, each scholarship and stipend winner must send via e-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org) a passport-size photograph (.jpg or .gif file) and an essay (Word format) of approximately 200 words in Spanish describing the experience of studying abroad to the Executive Director, who is also Editor of ENTRE NOSOTROS:Professor Mark P. Del Mastro (email@example.com). See Guidelines for Essays. An awardee who fails to provide the photograph and essay by the aforementioned deadline will forfeit half of his/her stipend.
Awardees unable to undertake the study abroad provided by the scholarship or stipend must inform the Executive Director (firstname.lastname@example.org) immediately and will return to him any funding received from Sigma Delta Pi. If the awardees fail to inform the Executive Director by May 15, 2017 and in sufficient time to award their scholarship or stipend to another student, understanding that arrangements have already been made for funding their study abroad, they will be required to reimburse Sigma Delta Pi for the cost of their award.
Sigma Delta Pi reserves the right to refrain from awarding scholarships to certain locations if it determines that circumstances of the prospective host country might detrimentally impact a student's educational experience and/or safety. Sigma Delta Pi also reserves the right to award less scholarships and stipends if it deems the applicant pool is deficient.
If the Chair of the Undergraduate Summer Scholarship Competition and/or a judging committee member is also a chapter adviser, then their chapter is eligible for no more than one (1) undergraduate summer scholarship or stipend. An exception may be made if 1) the number of applicants is less than the number of available awards and/or 2) the President, in consultation with the Executive Director, concludes that the quality of the applicant pool is deficient.